Let’s be honest…What woman doesn’t dream of having breakfast in bed? For me the real fantasy includes homemade Almond Mascarpone Pancakes, a rich cup of french-pressed coffee and a perfectly dressed bed. I can fulfill my first two desires by handing my children a recipe and sending my husband out for coffee. But, to make my ultimate breakfast-in-bed dream come true, I turned to interior designer Erin Dougherty of Isabella Style to design my ultimate boudoir.
Taking inspiration from the amazing interiors produced by the Salt Lake City-based team at Studio McGee, Erin and I curated a bedroom that was the ultimate state of bohemian luxury. Erin began by dressing the bed with the finest in luxury linens, courtesy of Peacock Alley. And, as I ran wild pinning all things “Moroccan, Bohemian, and Neutral, she finished the design with pillows and a throw found at L’aviva Home and the softest, Bowron Longwool Lambskin throw for my footing. She completely transported me to an open-air ranch somewhere off the coast of California, where I can picture myself slowly waking to the smell of coffee brewing and pancakes cooking.
And, in my fantasy world, I am not awaking to some ho-hum, out-of-the-box batch of pancakes. Mine will be rich, moist, and laced with hints of almonds and mascarpone cheese. The combination of all-purpose and almond flour immediately make these pancakes lighter than usual. And, the use of mascarpone cheese in place of butter lends them to a kinship with tiramisu. Served with toasted almonds, homemade whipped cream, a touch of maple syrup and fresh black berries, these pancakes are the ultimate breakfast dream come true.
I can’t wait for you to enjoy them and I hope to share images of my finished bedroom soon!!!! Xoxo, E.
- ¾ c All-purpose Flour
- ¾ c Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 1 t Baking Powder
- ½ t Baking Soda
- ½ t Salt
- ¾ c plus 1 T Heavy Cream
- ½ c Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 T Sugar
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ c Sliced Almonds, toasted (optional)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan, or open griddle to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda and the salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, mascarpone, eggs, sugar and the vanilla extract together using a hand-held mixer set to medium speed for 1 minute.
- With the mixer going, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- Ladle the batter (I use a ¼ cup measuring cup) onto the heated griddle and slightly flatten the batter to make each into a circle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and cook for 2 to 3 additional minutes, or until this side is nicely browned as well.
- Serve with maple syrup and if you wish, toasted almonds and some freshly whipped cream. Divine!
And, don't be discouraged if the first pancake doesn't flip well. There is a bit of technique you will find in flipping pancakes on an open griddle. But, it pays off in efficiency and perfection!