There are salads that call for numerous ingredients, vegetables and grains, and there are salads that are simple and humbly satisfying. I classify this arugula salad in the latter category and to much applause, it takes less than 10 minutes to execute and is as stunning as it is satisfying. The beauty and ease is in the execution: arugula – pre-washed, mozzarella – pre-sliced and a home-made balsamic vinaigrette made with love.
Speaking of love…I kind of want to bottle this vinaigrette. I used to rely on Newman’s Own or Annie’s Naturals, but then I started making my own. And, let me tell you, this can stand up to any store-bought novelty any day. It always finishes fresh, brightened by lemon zest, and develops fully with scents of lavender, rosemary, and thyme, compliments of dried Herbes De Provence. Pairing this with peppery arugula and salty mozzarella is an obvious choice and, one I am happy to share with you. Grab a fork and lets have some salad!
- For the Balasamic Vinaigrette:
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 T Dijon Mustard
- 1 T Honey
- ¼ t Salt
- ¼ t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 t Herbes De Provence
- 1 t finely chopped Shallot
- ⅓ c Olive Oil
- To Finish the Salad:
- 5 oz package Fresh Arugula, pre-washed
- 8 to 10 slices, Fresh Mozzarella from a pre-sliced log (such as Galbani)
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, dried herbs and shallot. Then, add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Before tossing the arugula with the vinaigrette, measure 2 Tablespoons of the vinaigrette and set aside for plating. Then, in a large bowl, toss the remaining vinaigrette with the arugula and transfer to a large serving platter. Mingle in the mozzarella for a lovely presentation and finish by drizzling the reserved vinaigrette over the salad.