Dare I say this salad has a cult-following among my friends and family. There have been desperate texts, late night e-mails and frenzied voice mails all looking to score the secrets to my edamame and black bean salad. So, to put an end to all the drama, I am sharing this coveted recipe for all to enjoy.
First, let’s consider an important fact about this recipe…IT IS HEALTHY!!! Personally, my dietary goals have shifted in recent years. In the past, I was more concerned about the fat and sugar levels in foods than their nutritional values. As I’ve grown older, I not only consume more fruits and vegetables, but I ensure that the foods I eat contain enough protein and fiber. With the inclusion of ingredients like edamame and black beans, this salad has become a “go-to” in achieving my dietary goals.
O.k., enough about why this salad works for me. Let’s get to why you are going to love it…IT IS FULL OF FLAVOR!!! Typical bean salads include corn and tomatoes, which I have incorporated into this recipe. But, in my opinion so many bean salads are boring and start to almost taste institutional (aka no better than that offered at the local grocery store!…Yuck!). So, to guarantee that my salad didn’t taste “average,” I added an unique ingredient, white hominy, and finished it with a vibrant lime vinaigrette.
White hominy carries a very distinct, corn-like flavor that often makes people wonder “what in the world are those big, puffy white things in my salad?!?!” I tell them and the response ordinarily goes like this, “huh,…I love them!” But, what makes this edamame and black bean salad truly sing is it addictive lime vinaigrette. It is packed with a ton of lime juice and zest, garlic, and just enough sugar to make it sweet enough for kids to enjoy.
I suppose the time is here to officially unveil the recipe. I can’t wait for you to try it and please, friends, just try to devour it with a hing of grace! Xoxo, E.
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 15 oz. can Black Beans
- 1 15 oz. can White Hominy
- 2 c Shelled Edamame, frozen
- 1 c Cut Yellow Corn, frozen (or fresh off the cobb in the summer)
- 1 c Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
- ⅓ c Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ c Vegetable Oil
- Zest of 2 Limes
- 2 T Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 T Sugar
- ½ t Salt
- ½ t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- In a colander, drain and rinse the black beans and the white hominy. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the frozen edamame and the corn, and cook 5 minutes. Drain and add them, along with the cherry tomatoes to the mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Pour it over the salad and toss well. Finish by folding in the fresh cilantro. Enjoy!