I love having friends over, even if it means muddying up the hardwoods and washing glassware in the morning. And, if entertaining includes feeding kids, I want to make sure there is something for everyone. “Toddler taste buds,” aka the palettes of picky children, can be challenging when cooking for both young ones and adults. That is why I typically bypass the stress of figuring out what everyone will enjoy and simply order pizza (what kid won’t eat a slice of cheese?!?!).
This approach allows me to create a variety of memorable munchies for my adult guests. We graze, we drink, and if we are still hungry when the pizza arrives, we have a slice or two. This entertaining mantra was perfect when I hosted five families for dinner the other night. I left the pizza ordering to the husbands and the wine pouring to the women. And, we all foraged on simply executed appetizers that I had made earlier in the day.
Based on everyone’s reaction, I can attest that the Thai Peanut Dip carried the wow-effect that I crave when entertaining. I love shocking my guests with flavors that they don’t regularly taste. This dip combines jalapenos, fresh ginger, shallot, and garlic with peanut butter, Thai coconut milk, and lime juice. And, for the ultimate kitchen victory, this appetizer is crafted in a food processor, which means that all the clean up can be performed by my Kenmore dishwasher!
In my opinion, this is the ultimate way to entertain when kids are involved. Easy clean-up, incredible appetizers and might I humbly suggest paper plates?!?! Try this Thai Peanut Dip the next time you want to WOW a crowd, or simply the next time you need a little awesomeness at your table!
- 2 T Shallot, finely chopped
- T Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 T Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 T Lime Juice
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- ¾ cup Lite Thai Coconut Milk
- 2 T Peanut Oil
- 2 T Coconut Palm Sugar (or Light Brown Sugar)
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Sriracha (Hot Chili Sauce)
- ½ t Ground White Pepper (or Freshly Ground Black Pepper)
- ¼ cup (packed) Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 10 leaves Fresh Mint
- In a large food processor, finely chop the shallot, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and lime juice for 10 seconds. Add the peanut butter, Thai coconut milk, peanut oil, coconut palm sugar, salt, sriracha and ground white pepper. Puree the mixture until smooth (about 30 seconds). Add the fresh cilantro and mint and process 10 additional seconds to finish the dip.
- Enjoy with fresh crudites and garnish with chopped peanuts (optional).